Musings from Crown Alumni

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Does anybody else feel that life is going by at an ungodly, frantic pace and you are just trying to hang on? That has sure been the case for me lately. I have come across a timely book that is dealing with that issue. It is called "Margins" by Richard Swanson. I have heard of the book for a while, but have never read it. I have not gotten very far, but it has already taken a very interesting look into "progress" and the ramifications it has had on society. His thesis is that our cultures progress has been driven by 2 environments. The Physical and the Cognitive. We have pressed forward to achieve more knowledge, wealth, and physical health. He is proposing that in our made rush for progress we have lost the sight of 3 other environments in the Social, Emotional, and Spiritual. This has lead to an impersonal society in which we think that every problem can be solved by a logical and scientific solution. What this implies is we are losing the focus on relationships and how Social, Emotional, and Spiritual problems rarely can be solved through science. It is a pretty interesting read that helps define a lot of why there is a constant feeling of being busy. Boring to most, but fascinating to me.

I have to tell you about a frustration that has been on my chest. Chris F. And myself recently took a journey to a little place called BW3's. This is a wonderful place where the wings flow like wine. At this wonderful place there resides a wonderful game. The game of Golden Tee. This wonderful game became less wonderful to me in its 2005 version because it has brought the price of 18 holes up to $4. This is the work of the evil one in our midst. Who can be expected to pay an extra dollar without any notice. What if you bring $3 to the wonderful place to play the wonderful game? And as you arrive there you are greeted with the not so wonderful surprise that you took a trip for nothing. This would be very disappointing. The makers of the wonderful game have tried to remedy that by allowing your credit cards to insert into said wonderful game and thus eliminate the need for cash. I however am one who prefers to use cash to play wonderful games and have been truly offended by the price gouging that has taken place. Am I offended enough to stop playing such a wonderful game? Yeah right...Golden Tee rocks!

Chris it will always be our past time!

2 Comments:

  • 2 comments for you. First of all, Don't you remember when Dick Swensen came to crown to speak for deaper life? He was not a great speaker, BUT IT IS A GREAT BOOK. (Even thought he is a cheese head (but a Vikings fan)) He is good friends with my uncle. Don't know why I shared that with you.

    Secondly, GoldenTee can charge what they want. I will continue to play. It is a shame that my church does not see the need to buy a machine for the youth room! I believe God would want it!

    An extra comment for the youth pastors here. I am attending Dare2Share this weekend with my youth ministry. From what I see, this is a MUST ATTEND conference. I will let you know how it goes.

    Thats all for now,

    By Blogger Folkestad, at 2:30 PM  

  • Dude,

    God always wants youth groups to have golden tee's. I could give you a couple of scriptures, but I haven't the time.

    By Blogger Our Family, at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home