Musings from Crown Alumni

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I just missed you in Cincinnati, Gabe (and everyone else who was there)! I was in Cincinnati Sunday and Monday. You see, last week Krista decided to move to West Virginia for the summer, and Sunday she did so. Being the good sister that I am, I offered to drive out there with her, so we got up at 5am and drove 13 hours to Cincinnati on Sunday. Matt happened to be there last week for General Council and was willing to stay an extra day, so we met him there and Monday he and Krista drove the rest of the way to WV, I flew home. It worked out quite well because Krista will be doing a summer internship at the same church Matt is doing his internship. We spent Sunday evening at Taste of Cincinnati, which seemed to be a trashy version of the State Fair. Krista and I quickly decided that compared to every other girl there, we were overdressed; our necklines were far too high and our capris covered far too much of our legs. The whole thing was like a sea of exposed flesh that we had to wade through. It was a bit nauseating. On the positive side, it was great to be able to see Matt, even though it was only for a few hours.

Unfortunately, I had to spend about seven hours in the Cincinnati airport yesterday, waiting for my flight. I couldn’t get an earlier flight than 5:00, and Krista and Matt needed to leave fairly early to get to WV in time for an intern retreat, so I spent the day feeling like I was trapped in the movie "The Terminal." The experience really made me realize how impatient I am. I could not wait to get out of there. Why? I had no plans to get to back home, the only thing of urgency in my life right now is getting my Oxford reading done, and that can just as easily be done in an airport as at home. Yet still, I felt like I was going insane inside that airport. I visited Starbucks about four times, read all of Sense and Sensibility, and took the tram back and forth between the concourses, just for fun. The good thing was that my flight left at 5:00 and (with the time zone change) I got back at 5:57. So even though I wasted seven hours of my life in that airport, I felt like I somehow had at least gained one back.

1 Comments:

  • Lynnea,
    That is such a bummer i missed you. i left early sunday morning on a flight back to the land of 10,000 lakes. It was also good to see Matt. I informaed him that next year he will be attending my church. Just thought you should know.

    By Blogger Our Family, at 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home