Musings from Crown Alumni

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Hubka,

Thank you for your comments. I appreciated them. I will offer rebuttal just for the sake of fun, but in no way to express any need to argue points. it was nice to have some insight into my post.

I first would agree whole-heartedly that there is not an actual point in life when we grow up or that growing up is more like a myth. That is really my point. I assumed life would make me a "grown up", but instead I have all the things that go along with being a "grown up" without seeing myself like what I want to be as one. It was more of a relization that I have not made that choice to be a the man I have always dreamt of being. I realized that the time truly is now, because nothing magical was going to get me there. The point was not so much on being a grown up, but on being the man of God that I have assumed I would become and have not.

The second opinion you shared was with "wasted time." I must say with all respect to your writing that I very much think that wasted time is not just a perception. When I think of either sitting down to read my bible or playing video games alone for three hours. There is an obvious difference to me. Something that has been on my mind lately has been the fact that I truly do not live with an eternal perspective. Ted Dekker says Christianity is in a state of slumber. We have lost all sense of hope and joy in thinking about heaven. We live not for our eternal inheritance, but for the simple pleasures of life. I am guilty of this and in it I believe that I am wasting my time. An example that Ted Dekker uses is the thought of running a race. (a thought that is most foreign to me in my fatty fat fat state of being) he says that we run with the hope of the next water station and have lost our hope in finishing the race. Our goal has shifted from the end of the race to a lesser joy in a cup of water. The water station signifies the God given pleasures of this life. They are given to enhance our expectations of eternity. They are only a foretaste of our future in Christ yet we seek them over as if they were the end goal. My point behind not wasting my time is to say that I no longer want to live life seeking the next water station, but rather in joyous expectation of the amazing inheritance I have with Christ. It is there that I will find the pleasures of this life truly godly. The more this happens the more I grow in my relationship with him. If I waste 20 years seeking pleasures from this earth. I have 20 less years to grow closer to God. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for your insight. It reallt got me thinking.

2 Comments:

  • Hey Gabe, where did you get those Dekker ideas from? I've read pretty much everything that guy's ever written, but I've never run across what you referenced.

    By Blogger bradley, at 5:18 PM  

  • Brad,

    It is from a new book called the slumber of Christianity. It is a non-fiction work that should be in the Christian living section of your bookstore

    By Blogger Our Family, at 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home