Musings from Crown Alumni

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

I'll try to keep this short. Gabe, I'd really like to go to Fluffy's wedding, but there are a couple of problems looming on the horizon that may well prevent such a thing from happening. The first problem: Money. I'm trying to live on a little over $1100 this semester, since that is my total income, and so a plane ticket to get out there would be nearly a quarter of my living expenses for the next three months. To get there in a more cost-effective fashion, I can drive, except it is somewhere near 24-hours (longer than it may be normally because my car can only go 75 mph). That'd be one killer drive after just completing finals. Speaking of finals, that is the other problem in this whole fiasco. I know when two of my finals are, but one is still up in the air (or I don't know about it), and one of the two that I know about is my grader class, meaning I'll have seventy-some papers to grade after Wednesday of that week, but before Friday, I think, so even if things were great money/time-wise, my only real job for the semester has the ability to further impede my attendence. So, to answer the question one more time, I'd love to be there, but at this point I see it being a long shot of sorts, and so, if you're Kurbis, don't bet on it. Ha!
So the more I read about the great thinkers, writers, painters, ect. of 19th century Europe, the more I come to the conclusion that great minds really have trouble making a living with any form of consistency. Take the German Romantic painter Karl Kaspar David Freidrich - incredible painter, but spent most of his life in poverty, and even went sorta crazy towards the end of his life, thinking that his wife had betrayed him, leaving her and his children to fend for themselves while he locked himself away in a study and painted. There are plenty of other examples, but I'm just letting you know about this because it makes me feel better as a careerless loser that won't get a raise or a promotion anytime soon (lacking an actual job adds to this problem), not that I'm a genius painter or anything else. Would I trade material comfort and social acceptability for genius-caliber work? Maybe I would, and then again, maybe I already have, except the genius stuff is still on its way. So much for keeping this short.
Duerk, thanks for sending that CD. It'll really solve some problems.
Lynnea, where are you? Do you hate the upper levels of academia as I do, or are you blooming like a flower in spring? And if that tutoring service you work for has full time positions available, let me know, in case I need a plan B around here.
Gabe, keep at it.
To class, and the meandering rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home