Musings from Crown Alumni

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Hey Guys, since nobody else is talking I thought I would share real quick about the mission trip I just returned from with my Youth Ministry.
We went to Sabinas Hidalgo, Mexico for a week. We stayed and worked at the Cosa Douglas Hogar Orphanage as well as held a VBS at a local church. It was a defining moment in our ministry, as well as in some of the lives of our teens.
While there, I was reminded of God's faithfulness in my own life. How God has provided for my every need at the perfect time. I was also challenged by our devotion time each morning. We studied from the book "The Treasure Principle" by Randy Alcorn. If you have not read the book, pick it up. It is a quick read, but it is POWERFUL.
I don't want to take up too much space here, but I do want to share the defining quote that came from one of my student leaders. We were preparing to hand out clothing in an extremely poor area of Sabinas when our van broke down. As we were waiting for the van to get fixed my student had a "God moment" as he called it. He shared with us that night his thoughts. He said, "I looked at the houses and the kids sitting in the road. They had nothing... I wanted to run out to them and give them all the clothes, food and money we had.... But then God stopped me... He reminded me that if all I do is give them stuff, they will be no better off. Unless we give them Jesus, they are no better off." As a youth pastor, that is the kinda stuff I live to hear. I didn't have to preach, I didn't even have to plan some overnighter. God spoke, and my student hear Him.
If you have an opportunity to go on a mission trip. Do it. I have never been dissapointed.

Enough of me rambling, sorry about that! Tell you what, take a 15 minute break from whatever you are doing, and go vote for Joe Mauer for the all star game! www.mlb.com now get out of here and go VOTE. Your vote may not count in November (sorry Nate D) but this one does cound and it is important. (ok I know that the November votes are important too, just need to see mauer in the all star game.)

For what its worth
Folkestad Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home