Musings from Crown Alumni

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Sorry for posting two times in a row. I have another repsonse and our comment section was getting terribly hard to read. Steve, quite dancing and get in the game!

One last note before my response. I hope all reading this do not make me out to be some cranky old foundationalist who needs to pick a fight to feel like I am defending the truth. i am having so much fun with this and hope we can keep it light-hearted and fun.

Kurbis,

Thanks for he reply. I agree wholeheartedly that the church has aligned themselves with a political party that has its holes in it. I think the emergent church has raised a great issue in Evangelical Christianity's blind trust in “a party”. And to that extent it is frustrating to see the atrocities happening while Christians are ignorant to the outcomes. However, saying a political party represents evangelical Christianity is a bit of a generalization. I loved your sentence: "We are not American Christians. Rather we are Christians sojourning in America." The inability of comfortable Christians to see this is to our shame.

I would also agree that evangelicalism is extremely guilty of marrying Bible to culture. I could give you many personal frustrations of cultural tradition infecting the church. My issue with the emergent church is they are simply contemporizing the problem. I am not trying to speak on behalf of the infallibility of evangelical Christianity, because I am well aware that does not exist.

The one area that I still get confused about in your logic is your understanding of the Bible. You state, "Fifth, Jesus promised us the Spirit, not a book." That is a great comment, but it comes from the very book that is being discredited. I agree that there is truth outside the pages of the Bible, but your very argument uses the Bible. How would you know what was promised except through reading the word? Is this not the same example of the atrocities stated in history? Aren’t you taking bits and pieces to make a viewpoint valid?

The reason I say it is more then a simple matter of trust is because I can agree that God can exist in a man's heart without words on a page. But I get concerned when people feel the need to take away the words on the page that are so useful and powerful to explain who the God is that is living in the heart. It is not a matter of trust, but a reaction to the attitude that takes away stock in the Bible. If God works through people who have only partial sections of scripture or none at all, the praise be to God. However, that does not mean we should get rid of the books importance when we have been blessed with it in its entirety.

3 Comments:

  • Let me also post a disclaimer: I am not for the Emergent movement any more than I am for Evangelicalism. I identify more with Emergent, but I am not that into it.

    Gabe, In your first two paragraphs to me I have no problem in accepting what you said. I can certainly see why you would say that about Emergent. I think to disagree a little would just be a matter of opinion and would be slightly fruitless since I think to err on the emergent side is better than erring on the the other side. Opinion.

    Now the third paragraph presents a break from agreeing! I want to say first of all that I am not trying to discredit the Bible but I am pointing out the difficulty I have in using it the same way you do.

    The point of me quotting from the Bible actually puts the burden of proof on you, not me. If you accept it as your ultimate source than how come what it says isnt right to you? My personal belief on the issue of scripture has nothing to due with what is being discussed. More than anything I am not stating my viewpoint as much as questioning yours.

    Put another way, you say the Bible is the authority that you use. The very thing you use though is not mentioned in itself. Rather the Spirit, which I argue we are to trust, is what is spoken of. Make sense?

    Anyways, I am not saying it is time to burn Bibles as much as it is time to stop using them as the only thing that matters in knowing God.

    Steve, Why is Gabe "da man" and Im not? jerk.

    By Blogger kurbis, at 7:09 PM  

  • Steve, thanks for calling me da man. Estrogenville can be a hard place to live. Still looking forward to your post. Dance away!

    Kurbis, I can completely see your point of view. I am responding to the more extreme views expressed in the emergent conversation that are picking and choosing scriptures based on cultural relevance.

    I am cautious to question the Bible's authority in light of the amazing evidence given to support its historical continuity and influence on the church. The Apostles devoted themselves to the ministry of the word and to prayer. Being involved in the pastorate this has been a huge example for me.

    We have got to do coffee sometime. gabe.norton@hopechurchcma.org
    Let me know if you have some time.

    By Blogger Our Family, at 9:51 AM  

  • Kurbis, Gabe may or may not get back to you if you email him. He seems to be a whore about that sometimes.

    Just kidding, take him out for wings, he likes that! Except he needs to be in bed by 7 so make it an early supper!

    By Blogger Folkestad, at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home