Musings from Crown Alumni

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Any updates on my life center around books these days, since the only thing of importance that I've been doing is finishing my master's thesis. Boring, I know. There are a couple of other exciting things going on, but everything's so up in the air right now, I'll just wait and post about it when things are more certain. So for now, everyone should take a few minutes and follow Brad's lead: He posted this list of "one book" sentences on his blog and asked others to do the same. I think it's fascinating to see what others value in books (cause I'm a nerd like that), so here's my list and I'm looking forward to seeing others... (no pressure).

1. One book that changed your life – Robert Coles’s 5-book Children of Crisis series

2. One book that you've read more than once – I’m currently reading The Professor’s House by Cather for about the 16th time…

3. One book you'd want on a desert island - Writing the Sacred Journey by Elizabeth J. Andrews

4. One book that made you laugh out loud – Flannery O’Connor’s The Complete Stories and Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris.

5. One book that made you cry – Wasted by Marya Hornbacher, Lucy Gayheart by Cather, and Center of Winter (also Hornbacher)

6. One book that you wish had been written – Anything with the words “By Lynnea Faith Erickson” on the cover

7. One book you wish had never been written – I Kissed Dating Goodbye, and most math or science-related books I was forced to read in college (don’t kill me, Tyler).

8. One book you're currently reading– (see answer #2), but I’m also working my way through Raymond Carver’s What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, Calvino’s Cosmicomics, and Inventing the Truth: The Art and Craft of Memoir (William Zinsser, ed.)

9. One book you've been meaning to read – Oh my, those weighing most heavily on my list (for obvious reasons) include Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow and Joyce’s Ulysses. One of these days.

(Yes, I know that I cheated by listing more than one book for most answers, but it would have taken me about ten times as long to try to narrow it down). Your turn!

3 Comments:

  • mine, for those who don't check my blog:

    1. One book that changed your life - The Bible. also, Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview

    2. One book that you've read more than once – On a Winter's Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

    3. One book you'd want on a desert island - Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (it wouldn't really apply, but it's long)

    4. One book that made you laugh out loud – A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers

    5. One book that made you cry – One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    6. One book that you wish had been written – i wish tolkien would have written more, james joyce would have written just a bit more clearly, shakespeare would have written some nonfiction about himself and his views on life

    7. One book you wish had never been written – Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins, The Prayer of Jabez by Wilkerson, Wild at Heart by Eldredge

    8. One book you're currently reading– Philosophy of Science: A Contemporary Introduction by Alex Rosenberg.

    9. One book you've been meaning to read - Anna Karenina by Tolstoy

    By Blogger bradley, at 11:13 PM  

  • Swimming for dummies...that's funny.

    I'll be expecting a serious answer soon, Mr. Hubka.

    Oh, and I still have nightmares about From Rationality to Irrationality.

    By Blogger Lynnea, at 1:59 AM  

  • I still have nightmares about the pursuit of happiness

    By Blogger Our Family, at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home