Musings from Crown Alumni

Saturday, December 23, 2006

So when do you officially become an adult? I first thought that it was 18. You could sign yourself out of high school and they couldn’t do anything about it. You can also, buy cigarettes, go to R-rated movies by yourself, and gamble. Then, I thought it was 21. You can then drink alcohol legally. This must mean that you’re an adult. Yet, when I was 21, I was still relying on my parents for so much while I was in college. When I finally moved out of my parents house, 4 months after I graduated from college, I thought that I was now an official adult. I lived on my own, paid my own rent, and had a real grown-up job. That was over 2 years ago. I realized tonight, at 24 my relatives still do not consider me an adult. They still lump me in with my parents. My cousins, who are younger than me, get their own Christmas cards. So, why don’t I? My conclusion… I’m not married. Two of my cousins are married, and they are the only ones that received their own Christmas cards. The rest of us unfortunate children were lumped in with the parents, whether we own our own house or not. So, do we become an official adult when we get married?

4 Comments:

  • Thanks for the insight Steve. It's funny, because I have avoided sending Christmas cards because it is the "grown-up" thing to do. Maybe I should be grateful I don't receive them as well.

    By Blogger Bekah, at 1:28 AM  

  • Hmmm...this is a good question, and I certainly don't have a good answer.

    But I do think that adulthood is mostly a state of mind more than a biological age.

    I mean, Krista seemed to be an adult by age twelve, but we're still waiting for my 27 year-old brother to reach that state.

    Who knows.

    By Blogger Lynnea, at 12:08 PM  

  • Don't worry, Steve, a full report is coming soon on my blog. I just haven't had any time...

    We had a fantastic time and a ton of people came, but of course it wasn't a party without you.

    By Blogger Lynnea, at 5:26 PM  

  • Bekah, my guess is that one of Christ's axioms applies here: Give, and ye shall receive. If you were to send your own, you would start getting them.

    The downside (and the reason that I have delayed in beginning to send my own) is that you are forced to read AND REMEMBER things about people you really don't care that much about. I get Marty and Luke's Christmas card, and that's enough for me!

    By Blogger bradley, at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home