Musings from Crown Alumni

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

So, many things on a large campus can strike one as odd, coming from our background. One example is closelines with personally painted t-shirts representing abused women. I'd explain it further, but I can't. Also I have watched dozens of people walking around campus today with wakeboards, snowboards, skiis, kayaks, ect. even though our campus has neither water nor snow. Apparently there is some sale of used equipment in the University Center. My attempts to buy a climbing harness were thwarted, and my quiant idea of buying climbing shoes was murdered by a hateful $80 price-tag. But that's not really the strangest part of my day. What strikes me so queerly today is my complete agreement with my professor. This is a female professor, mind you, in one of the most liberal universities that is nowhere near a coast, and she poured a diatribe against woman's studies on our seminar table today, being argued against by none other than the PSCO-look-alike grad student who ceaselessly talks. My professor claims that a department in the university system like women's studies or even African-american studies is a perversion of intellectual and scholarly effort, an ideologically-based homogenity that is not grounded in an actual discipline, such as history or math, ect. She claimed to be the only female professor in the Liberal Arts College to take a stand against the creation of a women's studies program. I was so proud of her. Thankfully she didn't jump into a grand rally against Afro-amer studies since one of our classmates is as dark and unintelligable (meaning somewhat and yet somewhat not) as Arma Ngufya, only his name is Mbye, and he is a Muslim (thus creating a problem of having a pizza party for our class since Ramadan starts this Friday, so we're waiting until the second half of November).
Question: Has anyone ever tried marinating a frozen chicken breast in a diluted beer/water mix? I'm just looking for other additions that can save me from utter culinary failure tonight when I try to cook this bird. I'm thinking of baking it after quickly pan frying both sides, and then leaving some of the beer solution in the pan, cutting up potatoes and steaming some corn to go with it. How do you beer-batter something? I've got two more Killian's in the frig, and I don't know if I'm going to drink both of them (although I might - they're better than any other beer I've tried), so I'm up for recipe ideas. Gotta go catch my bus. Chris, good to hear from you. When Katie does get some incredible job, you want to be the patron of my artistic abilities? Just a place to stay and some food would be good. Bye all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home