Musings from Crown Alumni

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Will nobody post anything?! I mean, is everybody busy, or are your lives really just that boring? I've been waiting for days for somebody to post, and I have some big news to relay, so I'm done waiting. As of right now, I do not plan to continue in my graduate program after this semester. I realized that I have no desire to write history, and that's the entire point of this program. I want to teach, and so maybe I'll be in a M.A. in Teaching program or something like that here soon, or maybe I'll go and live under a nice interstate bridge somewhere warm, but either way, I have no desire to be the guy writing your children's history books. Crazy, eh? I guess there's a reason you guys always called me "Crazy Steve." Now that I realize that wasn't true, maybe you should start.
More great sidewalk chalk ranting to recount. I read this on the way to the library in a brightly colored peach scrawl: "America's foreign policy: F*** the world!" Now that has little power in and of itself, but as I was still reading it, my head turned to notice the mother and her elementary-aged son walking right behind me, and I wondered if I was okay with that show manifestation of freedom of speech. Most of the other new writings were about moving to Canada (good luck and good riddance), but one I didn't even understand right away. See if you get it right off the bat: "Neo-cons: Christian Fundamentalists on Crusade." It took me several seconds of focused concentration to understand that it was neo-conservatives they were refering to. I'm just baffled. I mean, I used to want to write political stuff with sidewalk chalk as a form of protest, but my dream always included quoting Plato in the original Greek in front of municiple government buildings. Now I want to do that here, but maybe not Plato (though I would blush to think that any of these wild-eyed chalk writers have taken the time to search the great works of the world to understand what is going on and why their slant will bring their lives no value or peace). Ask serious questions, you have the chance to get serious answers. Ask flippant questions with only a feeling of shocking propaganda, and you will get only agreement or disagreement, but no real thought or answers. I should listen to myself, right? Well, could somebody get on this thing and say hello or something? I refuse to post thrice in a row.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home