Musings from Crown Alumni

Saturday, October 23, 2004

Good day all...it has been freakin' forever and I've been horribly uncomfortable with that. Busy schmizzy, we all are...
Okay, good to be back though...
A lot has happened in the past while...let me give a way brief update. Oh...who cares... I'm a little wasted right now. It's been a long string of weeks with a kickoff sunday, a middle school and high school retreat and being the primary college pastor (we don't really have one, so I get to teach and dream : ) and the middle school intern. Well, my supervisor, the middle school guy announced a few weeks ago he will be heading to the district office. Apparantly (this one isn't public yet so i hope no one from my world reads this) our high school guy is either looking at a different job here or leaving...and so that would leave us w/o a middle school, high school, and college pastor. Hhmm...so...we'll see. The church has informed me they'd like to hire me full-time which was cool...at this point I feel it's an incredible place that I'd love to keep growing up at/with, so barring a "NO" in a dream I feel I'll be here for a while in some eclectic hodge podge role, especially during this interim time. Anyways...I have been dating and hanging out with a cool girl out here since about the middle of july. It's been off and on and right now it's a litlte more off than on...so...that's that. She's a 20 yr old pk from the church who is going to school in seattle...that's made things interesting. She might come to Batch's wedding, we were planning on it but now we'll see...anyways, then ya'll can weigh in.

I miss ya'll...feeling a little homesick...the few hour a night phone calls kept me from any hint of a life I might have had so that explains my absence...pathetic...so be it.

Alright Lynnea, I've missed ya and I wanna respond to your well-written blog...so for conversation's sake I'm going to take the other side of the table. There were two premises, premii, premi, whatever, that I think cannot be assumed. Those being,

"If an institution is going to establish a set of rules for its inhabitants/members to abide by, it is assumed that such rules are based upon some sort of absolute ethical standards that the institution has deemed worthy to live according to. "

I don't know if that assumption can be made. Maybe this institution has established a set of rules that are based on ethical standards, not absolute ethical standards. (If they were absolute, how can they change over the years, the dancing one as well as cards, movies?) Everyone has ethical standards, not having standards is still an ethical standard. You can have ethical standards for yourself but not say others ethical standards are wrong. I wonder if the institution has established 'ethical standards' to aide in creating the kind of community they feel is most conducive to what they are all about.

The second quote is this,

"the fact remains that Crown has deemed this action morally inappropriate according to their absolute ethical standards."

The school has not deemed dancing as morally inappropriate according to their "absolute" ethical standards. I'm sure they would classify dancing as amoral. What you do with dancing can be immoral, just like music... But it is not immoral in itself, and the school is not saying that. They have said however, that to dance, after agreeing not to, is immoral.
Because the action in itself is not immoral, special permission can be given allowing one to participate in an amoral activity that the school has said is not conducive to building the kind of community they want.

It's good to hear you again though Lynnea...i miss ya...blessings, you know i love you!
peace out ya'll
josh
brad, don't get upset with me and leave me angry messages when i'm playing tennis, uhhh.
Did ya'll see napoleon dynamite? You should, the lead actor, Jon Heder, went to South SALEM high school, eh?
Any other intern people still waiting for their diploma?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home