Musings from Crown Alumni

Friday, October 15, 2004

So, taking Duerkop's format, I will thus save the rest of you from everything you don't want to read by properly labeling each section and giving a synopsis of what may well be within, otherwise I might not be able to stay within my monthy blog limits and may find some of you preturbed in an attempt to find out something meaningful or interesting about my life. Here we go (Duerkop, you are a wise man, and a better soccer player than all but two players on the Weber State girls soccer team).
Read section...
#1) if you too find yourself increasingly annoyed with parents and want to lash out against poor child-rearing, or just want to hear me complain about other people's kids
#2) if you want to read my unedited (not like an R-rated movie unedited, but unpolished would be a better term, if it is a real word) contemplation on last night's sunset
#3) if you want to find out the name of my new girlfriend
#4) if you want to find out the name of my imaginary dog, too
#1) & #2) if you don't mind me blabbing for a while and actually think I have something important to say (sadly I think you're mistaken)
#2) & #3) if you feel you need to even out your life by some possible deep thoughts balanced by some down-home stupidity
#3) & #4) if you want to pee in your pants (I learned from Dr. Ratledge that it's pee in your pants, not pee your pants, if you want to be grammatically correct) from laughter
#1) & #4) if you want to be offended and annoyed
#1) #3) & #4) if you... nevermind, I'll just get started.... oh and
#5) if you're Brad and you want to hear me talk about books for a short while

1) One of the many reasons that this country, within our lifetimes, will be ruled by a foreign power (Cexica) or in the middle of a brutal civil war is due to poor parenting of the upcoming generation. Firstly, a collegiate girl's soccer game, though somewhat silly compared to other athletic events of similar nature, is not an elementary day-care facility, and also (apparently suprising a total of five separate teams) it is not the misappropriated grounds for a pee-wee soccer league! Secondly, letting young children play on the sidelines of a NCAA (actually, I don't know what Association we are a part of, but you get the point) event is a combination of bad parenting and dangerous behavior, not to mention unfair to the fans and the players. Thirdly, moving your infant child's travel-carrier closer to the sidelines of a soccer game just to be closer to your misbehaving children and their friends is not a solution to the aforementioned problem. Parents don't raise their kids to be well behaved without supervision, and the refuse to supervise them adequately. It's a reflection of the parenting attitude that thinks children are to be seen, heard, and pandered to so as not to bruise their developing (inflating is a better word for it) egos. One child actually ran at the ball prior to it leaving the field, obstructing the game and raising my blood pressure by ten points. The parents do not give their children the idea that there is a good way to behave at said event, and a poor way, and also refuse to be near enough to show the difference. The game was a zoo of children running and wrestling and cartwheeling, all great kid things, but they should not take place on the sidelines of a soccer game! I'm not against children, just their senseless and thoughtless parents who need to be next to their offspring until they know exactly what is acceptable in different public places, and why. We are a doomed nation, and this is one of the biggest reasons. Thank you, and vote to legalize medical marijuanna if you live in Missoula, because the consistent use of marijuanna leads to impotency, and I hope that will be a long-term solution to this problem which I now relate to you.

2) The sweet glow of the hills in the evening light
Like wheat in the summer sun
They do not know I watch in awe
They hold my gaze like a lover in a trance.
And like a lover, they curve and dip with sensious regularity
With the modesty of a virgin in covered forests and dark shadows that deepen as the night nears.
So the ticking clock and the fading light together remind me how I have lost the day. I wonder what day will be the first to end without me, and at the same time I know so many passed before I was here to watch the shadows fight gravity's fascism, pushing up the hills without remorse or apology, the two things that stir in my heart for the Lord who pressed these mounds with his breath and bids the sun to set on them, and remind me of his unfading glory, larger than the mountains, who can count the forests like my hairs, and died on a tree so that I could watch thousands without worry of tomorrow, and how I should not regret today. When my life fades into night, I will not be the mountains, silent and unfeeling, with no care for dying sun upon their hearty face. As the last whispers of light skip across the mountain tops, the entire land is equal once again, visible in the twilight, like all mankind in death, all laid low, without care of towering success or shameful depths.
I left for a moment to answer a call, and I return to a sole sun-kissed peak with the clouds behind mocking its color and shape. The cherry 7-up frost on the snowy blue-velvet etchings, like a battle with a scribbling paint scraper slicing across the sky in jagged, irregular swaths that too lose their glowing lustre, the illusory life leaving their quite figures like a campfire of embers and smoke.

3) Mildred, her name is Mildred, and she likes history and banjos and guys that are awkward in social situations, so there. I am wanted somewhere on this earth, even if it is only in my imagination!

4) Cexica- I named my imaginary dog after the soon to be formed union of Canada and Mexico which will one day rule us all with an iron fist, or at least rule us through cheap beer and spicy food, hockey in the winter and soccer all the time, and everyone will suddenly be crossing the border in Belize because it will be an unconscious social desire that we all will feel, and all heatlthcare will be cheap and free (if that makes sense), and nobody will drink the water but have great-tasting Coke (made from real sugar), and is there anything else I can say that's culturally insensitive? Oh yeah, Cinco de Moustache, and Viva la Cexica, eh.

5) Brad, I was glad to hear about your wild literary life, you player you, and I wish (though nobody else does) that I could do as you did and copy down what I've read since we parted ways. You have read a great deal that I have read, a greater deal that I have wanted to read, and a couple of books I've never heard of. And those were some great buys book-wise. Here's what I've enjoyed the most since school started:
Wordsworth and Coleridge Lyrical Ballads
Giacomo Leopardi Selected Poems
George Eliot Felix Holt
Goethe's Faust
Alexis de Tocqueville's The Old Regime and the French Revolution
Albert Camus Resistance, Rebellion, and Death
Heinz Abosch Simone Weil: An Introduction
Popular Science, September 2004 (it wasn't that great, but whatever)
Robbie's copy of People magazine that was in our bathroom for two weeks
and finally, the March of Dimes advertisment poster inside all the city-run transportation which features a stunning portrait of Daisy Fuentes followed by the caption (and I've read it enough to have it memorized): "Daisy Fuentes isn't pregnant, but she still takes folic acid." Another example of how our nation is on the verge of utter demise, but this side of things I have less against, solely for aesthetic reasons.

Thus concludes our first installment of the catagorized and partitioned Hubka blog. Depending on the response, this format may continue, or I may just find other ways to express myself. I'll leave with a great quote from Simone Weil: "Exactly as God is powerless to do good among human beings without their co-operation, the same goes for the Devil in the realization of evil."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home